Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Thing 17

I spent some time with three web 2.0 winners for this task. Here are my thoughts on each of them:
Google Docs (http://docs.google.com/)
I've touched on this in an earlier post. I think google docs has great potential as a means for students to collaborate. I used it for the first time a few days ago. It was nice to be able to create a document at home and then have access at school without having to remember my thumb drive. It was also nice that the file was automatically converted to a .pdf file when I printed it. I wasn't able to find a print preview button which was a little irritating but overall I see this being something that I will be using more and more in the very near future.

Pbwiki http://pbwiki.com/
I am the director of color guards at Lowell Area Schools. During the winter season I have two competitive Winter Guards that travel all over the state to compete. I recently set up a wiki to organize our car pooling efforts. (http://exit52.pbwiki.com/) It's an easy way for the parents to sign up to drive without me having to sort through a whole in box full of emails. The parents are one by one starting to get on board with the new web 2.0 way of signing up to help. I also set up a page within the wiki to coordinate our volunteers for the show we are hosting in February. This event will have somewhere around 800-1000 spectators so take a lot of people to run smoothly. Wikis are already changing the way I do business in my role as Guard Director. I can see putting together research projects for my students in which they will add their thoughts to a wiki to come up with one end result.

My Heritage http://www.myheritage.com/
The last tool that I looked into was My Heritage. It's basically a web based version of Family Tree Maker. I started building a family tree with Family Tree maker last year but found it quite complicated and there were many search elements that were only available if you paid a fee. I didn't get into My Heritage in great depth but it looks neat because I can put in email addresses of the family members that I add and then they get an invitiation to add to the family tree. It looks like it is more or less Family Tree Make meets a Wiki. I'm not sure if I can link a family tree to any of my 7th grade math grade level content expectations or not but it might be something fun for the kids to do on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment